Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The reflection paper of CALL class

Before the class, I have known that there are so many resources that we can use to improve English. While I have no idea about how to find such resources and what kind of the resources suit me the best. I only used computer to find the definition of words which means that I used it only just as a dictionary. However, after taking the CALL class in this semester, I have learnt so many useful and excellent ways to improve skills through Internet. For me, the most impressive and suitable resources are blogger, TED and OpenCourseWare.
When to talk about blogger, all I know is to write articles for expressing feelings to share with friends. In fact, I have never thought about that this platform which I used to use frequently could also be a way to improve English. With writing on blogger in English, no matter it is an assignment or a diary, we can have the chance to exchange articles to our friends. It is much more interesting to read an article written by the one who we are familiar with than by one we even don’t know who he is. Also, it encourage ourselves to write when our friends continually update their bloggers.
 Another advantage of blogger is that we can add the links of websites to our blog, such as several online dictionaries. It save time and is convenient for us to use when we need these websites. We can add the links with the websites that we find useful when we are surfing the Internet. Because there are too many resources on the Internet and it is impossible for us to remember all the addresses of these websites, adding links to blogger make us easier to find them when we need. In addition, we can not only add the website which can improve English skills, but also add the websites interest us.
The second one that interests me a lot is TED, which is the most suitable to me than any other online resources. There are many videos that are about the presentation given by different people. It is not just a website for video, like YouTube, but also a useful website to improve by watching others presentations. We can not only gain the language skills but also learnt the methods to give a successful presentation by imitating the speakers. For example, using proper pause, intonation, body language are some basis elements to give an attractive speech.
The third website is OpenCourseWare. It was my first time to know about it and it really astonished me a lot. I couldn’t image that there are free courses online which means that we don’t have to go to cram school and spend lots of money. There are so many courses in different fields from various university that allow us to take when there don’t have such lessons in our school or we don’t have time to take lesson.  Moreover, some courses even provide videos, readings and exams to improve our listening and reading skills. Therefore, OpenCourseWare is really a useful resource to gain knowledge as long as we make use of it.

In this semester, I learnt lots of ways to learn with computer which is important and necessary as computer have popularized in this generation. Because of the busy daily life, I haven’t spent much time on these websites so far. While as the coming of vacation, I will have much free time to make maximum use of them. Hopes myself will have progression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment